Your clients and customers love your work but you want to expand your business? How do you spread the word about your business? By hiring the right ad agency, you can raise awareness of your brand, grow your business and improve your bottom line.
Tips for Hiring an Advertising Agency:
- Find an ad agency that understands what you do. No marketing agency is going to be effective at telling your story and raising your brand awareness if they do not really get what it is that you do. You want a company that asks you a lot of questions about your business plan and your goals for your company. Some ad agencies pretend to be interested in prospective clients’ work and quickly move onto some other project once they have been hired. You should look for an ad agency that is interested in getting to know you and your goals.
- Ask about their process. How do they will identify your best prospects. A good ad agency will be great at developing strategic market segmentation plans. Basically, the ad agency will break your customer base into different groups, of segments. The ad agency will identify which segments are more likely to be interested in your products or services. No ad campaign is complete without a thorough market segmentation strategy. If the ad agencies you talk to do not have a way to identify your best prospects and develop a plan to reach those people, you need to look to a different ad agency.
- How well does the ad agency know the local market? If you are based in Atlanta, you do not necessarily need to only talk to Atlanta advertising agencies but you do need one that understands the Atlanta media landscape. Ideally, they will have relationships with the influential TV and radio shows and outlets. This will allow them to negotiate better ad rates on those outlets and programs. At the very least, they need to be able to find the shows and stations that your target demographic watches and listens to. Knowing what the influential programming is will make a huge difference in the outcome of your ad campaign.
- Ask them about their plan to deal with social media. It should be a given that your ad campaign will include traditional media channels such as radio, TV and print but what is the plan for social media? A lot of their plan will depend on your specific goals. If you are looking for individual consumers, Facebook offers great opportunities to reach customers If you are more interested in business to business (B2B) work, LinkIn offers great chances for that. This is another reason the ad agency needs to really understand your goals and needs. Having a comprehensive strategy for managing your online presence needs to be a big part of your overall ad strategy. All of your materials and campaign needs to work together. Your ad agency needs to understand this.
- Talk to their references. Ask for samples of their work and to talk to current or former clients. The best way to know how good a product or service actually is will be to talk to people who have used it. The ad agency may have testimonials on their website. Do what you can to verify these. Ask for examples of the kind of work you will need for your ad campaign. If your ad campaign will heavily feature television ads, you should be wary if all the ad agency shows you are their print ad work. The same goes for their online ad examples. One of the great thing about Facebook ads is that you can see how many people they reach. Look at examples of their social media campaigns. Pay attention to your own response to the ads they create. If you are not moved by them, the ad agency may not be the best one for you.
When you are hiring an ad agency, it is a lot different from hiring other kinds of services. You need to share the ad agency’s aesthetic and philosophy. If you do some research you will find the right one.